A history of Quality and Exceptional Service
In 1952, Dick Block and Paul Olson opened a small auto glass service, fabricating and installing glass for Vancouver residents. They called it Block & Olson Glass. Originally, the two shared a building with the commercial glass service, Columbia Glass, but after three years Block & Olson garnered such a large demand for work that their space could no longer accommodate them. They needed a shop of their own.
By 1955, Block & Olson moved to a small building behind what was then Spic N Span Drive-in on Washington and East 15th St. They carried on successfully in that location for a decade, but by 1965 had again outgrown their building. A few blocks east, a large stone-cement storefront–once the home of a Disney animator’s studio–seemed a better fit. So 205 East 15th Street became their new location, and Block & Olson has been there ever since.
During their last move, Block & Olson hired a young man, Tim Erickson, who would eventually become the shop’s owner. Tim joined the Army in 1968, but returned to Block & Olson in 1971 after serving in the Vietnam War. Around that time, Block & Olson also expanded into a full-service glass shop, offering automotive, residential, and commercial glazing.
Eight years after his return from service, Tim purchased Paul Olson’s portion of the business, becoming a partner in Block & Olson until Dick Block’s death, when Tim purchased full ownership.
Block & Olson is a family business, with Tim’s sons carrying on the trade, and employees putting in decades of work for the company. It is a community business through and through. We support youth softball, baseball, football, and soccer, as well holding a long tradition with local 4H and area business organizations.
Most of all, we pride ourselves on providing exceptional customer service and quality workmanship to the community that for 66 years has supported our growth and success.